Thursday, November 20, 2014

Scars Are Watermarks

"Scars Are Watermarks"


That pins and needles feeling
Has pierced my soul again
But it's nothing like the pain
That I've tried to hide within
For thirty years of loneliness
Have built a home inside my heart
And I'd hoped you were the righteous wind
Come to tear that home apart
Wished to watch as each bitter brick
Finally fell and kissed the ground
To prove that the notion of solitude
Would only help to amplify the sound
Like when that fabled tree in the forest fell
And had nobody there to catch
So there was to be no amazing grace
For me, this fallen sort of wretch
And that is how this life has gone
When the subject shifts to me
And how everyday reminds of you of
How painful precious gifts can be
'Cause I should have spoken up
Before you walked away
But once love has finally bloomed
It's never meant to stay
See, first the water comes rolling in
And helps to sweep you off your feet
But then it leaves and takes everything
Leaving you cold and naked underneath
That's why scars are our watermarks
There to show the world we once were filled
But some sort or form of happiness
Before misery came to see it killed
Loneliness can be described
As a wretched state of mind
But lately it's been a state of mine
And it's in this kind of darker time
That I'm inclined to find
The cold and unforgiving truth
That scars are watermarks
Proof the show the world
That love was drowned inside our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment