Sunday, September 15, 2013

Dream Girl?

"Dream Girl?"

This was a piece that was written as an exercise at first.
I wanted to test myself and see if I could write about a particular topic,
but at the same time put a different spin on that topic.
So what follows here is that exercise.
I took the topic of a dream girl, and instead of writing about my dream girl,
I wrote from a perspective that many guys could relate to.
I imagined being back in high school, and wanting that most popular girl.
That scenario you see in movies all the time.
The shy, introverted guy likes the girl who was prom queen and head cheerleader, etc.
So basically that guy narrates the piece,
and he speaks as if he was triumphant in winning this girl over.
And he is kind of boasting about it.
But as the piece progresses,
you slowly start to see my feelings about a dream girl creep through.
Until you get to the last half of the final line of the piece,
in which my, not the narrator's, true feelings arise.




 

I did what they said could not be done
When they said your affection could not be won
But I now possess what is not easily attained
Because they said your heart was too fragile, your style was too vain
But somehow you opened up to me
And showed me things that I was too blind to see
Like how your lips were fuller, than the moon on a winter night
And the sensation your fingers left, felt so very right
On this skin of mine, that only longed for your caress
And you answered my call, this heartfelt signal of distress
You wiped my tears, with the lightest of hands
They were warm yet soft, like the whitest of sands
Like we were on a beach, at the edge of the world
How can I thank the Lord, for the love of this girl
That's when the covers fell off, and I began to feel cold
And then I awoke, to what's considered the same old
Life that I've been living, away from her embrace
Burned in my memories, is the image of her face
I walked around the house, to see if she was there
A search unsuccessful, and now I am pulling out my hair
As all I could smell, was the scent of her perfume
And all I could find was disappointment, in every other room
That's when I stopped, and dropped to my knees
Looked toward the sky, and begged the Lord please
To return this girl to me, so I can keep my mind
The response came sudden, and what did I find
That it was all a dream, like a movie in the brain
So I'll go back to sleep, just to dream of her again
I know should not, but how could I resist
I love my dream girl, even though she never did exist...

No comments:

Post a Comment