Sunday, September 15, 2013

What's The Use Of Beauty?

"What's The Use Of Beauty?"


This was a piece that was written purely out of anger.
I had been listening to some rock music,
and kind of just writing random phrases, hoping to get these emotions out.
But finally, true inspiration hit, and I began to write.
The first things that came to me were actually the last 8 lines of this piece.
And to keep the fires going, so to speak,
I just imagined the face of a girl that I used to like.
I kind of took a liking to her faster than I should have,
because I'm not an ordinary kind of young man,
and we had so many things in common.
But as it turns out,
liking her turned out to be a giant waste of time and emotions.
Thankfully, I was able to use the thought of her, to write this.
I pictured sitting across the table from her,
and delivering each line I wrote,
and seeing the tears stream down her ridiculous face.
And not surprisingly, I felt quite gratified after writing this piece.
And  I also, found the picture below online.
I thought it perfectly symbolized the theme of this poem.
No matter how beautiful someone may be,
they all have a side they hide from people.
They all have an ugly side.
So really, what's the use of beauty?






"What's The Use Of Beauty?"
2013

My pretentious pretty princess
With a crown that glowed invisible
The ruler of nothing worth anything
Who lacked every valued principle
Unaware, every costume that you don
Just hides your lack of self-esteem
And the crowd you're following
Is the true, pathetic sort of team
Or at least that is what I hear
From those closest to your view
And I believe them to a fault
Because the one descrbed is you
And I know just how you are
And it's not good to say the least
Yet when I tried to show the kinder side
You chose to wake the beast
Now you must deal with the consequence
Of the actions that you took
Like when you described our interactions
And just how you made me look
How dare you, little darling
To present yourself as this
Talking like I only bothered you
And didn't bring your inner bitch some bliss
When your calls were few and far between
And oft contained a need
So you'd hurl insults at yourself
Hoping your ego's what I'd feed
And I fell for it in the beginning
But then I figured out the game
So I began to play it better
And never heard you once complain
Yet, let's not forget the topics
We chose on the lonely nights
When you told me how you liked it
And told me how it was so very tight
Claming that since you were so small
You didn't always need it large
But when you didn't get what you wanted
You'd reach for your boyfriend that you'd charge
And he'd start dancing where you asked him
Causing everything to shake
Giving your toes their familiar curl
Until you had all that you could take
And confessions continued coming
Like the way you did in my thoughts
But I'll leave some secrets where they lie
'Cause some things should remain between just you and I
But don't take that shade of mercy
As some forgiveness for your crimes
Because you were a waste of my emotions
On so very many times
And I'm not claiming that I'm perfect
No, I have far too many flaws
But the difference is I liked you
And I hate you now because
I was just bragging rights for you
When you wanted to look strong
But on the nights you felt alone
You'd sing your all too familiar song
But now you have found another
And after loving him online
You finally got a chance to meet him
And then waste his precious time
But although he journeyed far to see you
And doesn't regret it on this day
I will sit back and count the hours
Because I know you will surely find a way
To drive him up the walls
That I once tried to climb
Until he leaves you to your lonesome
And that day will be sublime
Because you're the kind person
That wears thin so very fast
And you're better in small doses
So forever doesn't have a chance to last
And I'm sure that makes me sound
Like the most bitter of the men
That ever sought to be the rooster
Deep inside his favorite hen
And I'll accept that comparison
And I'll wear it like a stain
But after each daydream I wasted
I felt emboldened to complain
But I'm actually getting madder at myself
For writing all these words
Because if I'm being honest
It's more than your sorry ass deserves
And what you think of me from here
I'll leave up to your discretion
But you can do me this final favor
And answer this nagging set of questions
What's the use of beauty
If there's a fool beneath the smile?
And what's the use of duty
If an offered inch becomes a mile?
And what's the use of talking
If you have nothing smart to say?
Oh, what's the use of walking
When you wouldn't meet me half the way?

2 comments:

  1. Hey, babe. Thanks for reading. This piece was inspired by someone that I mistakenly liked a few years back. It's been dead and buried for awhile now, but I was listening to this song on my ipod the other night, "Orchids" by Stone Sour, and it was getting me pumped up. And I had been listening to similar songs for awhile, so by the time I got to Orchids I was ready to write. And the crazy part was, the first thing I came up with where 8 lines at the very end of the poem. They came to me first, and that's where I got the title from. Then the rest just sort of poured out of me. And I just kept picturing her face, so that made it remarkably easy to stay in that frame of mind. So I wrote it as if she was sitting across from me and I was giving her the verbal business, lol. So I thought it was a pretty good piece. So thankfully knowing her amounted to a good poem. That's about all I got out of that situation. But she's not a great muse like you. She was chapped.

    ReplyDelete