Sunday, September 15, 2013

My Pledge

"My Pledge"


This is a short piece, written purely out of anger.
It was written during the first few days of President Bush's ordered invasion of Iraq.
I believe it was called, "Operation Iraqi Freedom."
But I basically remembered the things I believed about our country growing up.
How we were this shining example of freedom and liberty.
And how we were this righteous, melting pot of people.
Who always stood up for what was right, and punished those who were wrong.
But the older I got, and the more I paid attention
I had to be more and more honest with myself.
These things I believe growing up aren't entirely true,
and they are not altogether false, either.
At the end of the day, our country's beautiful name is tarnished
by those who in power, who use our resources to pursue their own gains.
And sadly, it is a slap in the face to realize these things.
So that is why I wrote this piece.
I felt wrong essentially rewriting our Pledge Of Allegiance.
Because I really do believe those words.
But I felt that it was the best way to convey the anger I truly felt.
But I intentionally made the piece short, so as to minimize the disrespect to our pledge.
I just felt these things needed to be said.





I pledge allegiance to the flag
Of the united nation that we once had
A nation that never wavered on moral ground
But has now lost its' soul and it is so very sad
And the republic for which it stands
Has sent its precious children to distant lands
To fight an enemy with no regards for life,
Much less liberty and justice for all
Yet like heroes true, they answered every call
Marching into the unknown
To defend the principles and values that once were shown
By those in charge of a so-called nation under God
Yet when dollar signs have blatantly replaced a crucifix
Then the nation's rulers are conspicuously flawed
For they are paid to lie and destroy our sovereignty at any cost
And I look to the Heavens above,
To see if there are more than souls than I, who can see we're lost
 


No comments:

Post a Comment