Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Writer's Dream

This was an older piece that was inspired by one of my favorite musical acts of all time... Enigma. In the video for their song "Sadeness," a man is sitting at his desk, writing, and falls asleep. The rest of the video is composed of his dream. So that is what inspired the title of this piece, and given the subject matter of the song, I did my best to recall the most erotic dream I had at that time.





"A Writer's Dream"
2007

I have dreamed a writer's dream
But not of the sleeping kind
Buried deep within the soul
Where the weeping often find
A part of themselves they've lost
Under ashes of their guilt
An effigy of sorts
In rememberance of what love had built
Gazing at the stars
That tonight are not in sight
The clouds have become obsese
And they're eating up the light
It is in this dream I stand
Alone in a baron field
With the grass dancing in the wind
And the breeze I've longed to feel
The thunder mirrors applause
From a filled up concert hall
As the sure-handed rain drops
Finally lose their grip and fall
As they plummet towards the Earth
They gently kiss my face
And for once I feel alive
In this most God-forsaken place
In the distance there's a figure
Moving slowly in the dark
I cannot see their steps
But I can hear the beating of their heart
Much like a whispering drum
The volume is dying to increase
Their cloak is blowing in the wind
Because the breeze has yet to cease
Toward me the figure slowly moves
And they're raising up their arm
And I can't seem to figure out
If they intend to do me harm
I touch the figure's extended hand
To feel their gentle skin
It's as soft as an angel's wings
And the color of porcelin
The stranger removes their hood
To reveal their identity
A goddess in her human form
Is what my Lord has sent to me
Softly I caress her face
Her eyes glowing like the moon
She said, "Beloved, I will end your despair,
And I will end it soon."
She removed her darkly-colored cloak
That she had chose to wear
And then she slowly revealed to me
That nothing was under there
Her body was soft and firm
Like beauty in the purest form
And then she gave herself to me
Beneath this violent storm
As I lay down in friendly dirt
She straddled exhausted legs
To release in her all my hurt
Is for what she softly begs
As she's rocking back and forth
I begin to feel reborn
I can feel her slowly mend
A soul that was long since torn
Her movements often changed in speed
As I struggled to adjust
It's been years since I felt this way
Tell me if it's love or lust
For how can you love someone
Who was previously unnown
Was she truly sent to me
So that I may call her my own?
Her movements finally reached a peak
Followed by a gentle crash
Neither one of us could speak
And it was over in a flash
She softly kissed my lips
And said your pain is inside of me
As I felt her fingertips
I felt my mind divide in three
Part of it couldn't accept the fact
That my pain was finally gone
The middle part did rejoice
And said it's been too long
The third part finally woke me up
From sleeping soundly in my bed
And if that was just a dream
Why do I hear her voice echo in my head
Then I felt the slightest touch
Brush against my feet
I look at the covers I was in
To see someone underneath
I pulled those covers back
To see my dream had come to life
She said, "if you don't stop waking me,
I'll never be your wife."
And it was then we shared a laugh
But she was blind to my delight
To see that dreams really do come true
And mine finally did that night
But if this encounter was another dream
Then I beg you leave me be
Because I would gladly stay asleep
If she is sleeping next to me
And as she slept deeply beneath my arm
I thought to reveal her name
But I'll keep that to myself
And just tell you that God is in the rain...


No comments:

Post a Comment