Friday, November 23, 2012

Occupy Yourself

This was a piece that I wrote out of frustration over all of the obnoxious media coverage over the Occupy Wall Street movement and others of the sort.





"Occupy Yourself"
2012

Whether you buy things on release dates
Or you're one of many waiting for a sale
The truth is, we're consumers by nature
And our natures will prevail
So while some may seek to nurture
The collections that they own
The shrewd will sell a revolution
To those who feel alone
And the ones who don't realize
The things we really need in life
Can't be found upon a shelf
If you really want a revolution
You first have to occupy yourself
So please put down your little signs
Unless you're truly for the cause
'Cause we need to open up our minds
Instead of just picking out the flaws
And I think if I could put the letter "i"
Right there in front of God
Maybe he would be as hard to live without
As your precious pad or pod
But maybe I'm the one that's tripping
Because I only bow my head to nod
And I'm out of shape in a culture that
Only worships better bods
That are lacking weight upon the waist
And aren't effigies to waste
Or proven products of the food
Whose only benefit is taste
But hey, I digress.
Sorry if I'm not a sheep.
I'm just a normal guy with faults
Who has to close his eyes to sleep
And I like to talk and question things
That most folks will just accept
And I'll play devil's advocate to those
You claim I should respect
But hey, don't worry,
The herd will fall in line.
Most are doing it with haste.
Thinking that wisdom only comes in tweets
They rush to copy and re-paste.
But they don't seem to realize
The things that we really need to hear
Must be carried on the breath
Of those who inspire me to live a life
That proves I'm unafraid of death
'Cause it's alright to laugh
And it's quite alright to smile
But it's when we open up our minds
That life is truly worth the while
See, choosing to join a revolution
After it's already gained its' wheels
Proves that the bandwagon's getting full
No matter how each supporter feels
And the moment the bump that's in the road
Decides to rear its' ugly head
The johnny-comes start falling off
And leaves the cause momentum dead
So I truly hope those who choose to occupy
Find success and inner peace
And I hope those who wear slogans on a shirt
Truly practice what they preach
Or maybe they are only activists
'Cause they want to seem informed
When the fact of the growing matter is
Counterculture's now the norm
But still, they cave in and ride the swell
Of what's trending nowadays
Buying anything the stores will sell
So they can sit back and count the ways
To advertise before your eyes
With methods nearly old as time
Choosing to be subliminal or direct
With a catchy jingle or a rhyme
But friend, my point in all of this
Is to inspire you to think
Before we wait and prove the Mayans right
And then disappear beyond the brink
So if you remember nothing of this talk we had
I would beg you to remember this
When your aim is just to rule yourself
You will win, even if you miss
Because the things we really need in life
Can't be found upon a shelf
And if you really want a revolution
You first have to occupy yourself
So please put down your little signs
Unless you're truly for the cause
'Cause we need to open up our minds
And take our fingers off of pause

No comments:

Post a Comment